Sunday, November 11, 2007

Happy Veteran's Day

Today is the day we celebrate all of our veterans whether they have fought in a war or not. This day is reserved to honor those that are still living (Memorial Day is set aside for those who have given the ultimate sacrifice to this country - their lives).

I love this day. It is actually one of my favorite of the year. I know that veterans are the reason we have all the rights and freedoms that we take for granted on a daily basis. We have the rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness (whatever that happiness may entail) because of our veterans.

The only thing I dislike about this day is the fact that this honorable day is NOT.A.NATIONAL.HOLIDAY. It is only a Federal holiday. This means that if Veteran's Day falls on a week day, the very Veterans that we are honoring have to go to work unless they have a government job or are retired. There are so many veterans that are of working age, especially now that we are in a time of war. These men and women deserve our gratitude. They deserve to be honored. They deserve to be able to participate in the festivities that are being held in their honor. After all, this day is set aside to honor them. Shouldn't we give them the day off work?

Every year around this time, I write a letter to the President of the United States asking that this day be changed to a national holiday instead of just a federal one. I would love to see this day changed so that those we are honoring can ACTUALLY BE HONORED.

Feel free to join me in this.

Please thank a veteran today. The veterans in my family are my dad, both my grandfathers, my husband, and my brother-in-law. Who are the veterans in your family? Have you thanked them today?

Until later...

No comments: