Wednesday, November 08, 2006

After the results...

I wasn’t going to rant about the voting experience, but I can no longer keep my mouth shut. I saw the results in my state regarding same sex marriage.

I’ve gotta tell you that I am disappointed in the state of TN.

The state of TN has added to its constitution that “marriage is between a man and a woman” – what a crock! As a state, we have now included discrimination into the “Bible Belt” – imagine that. We have taken the following rights away from the gay communities in this state. That’s ridiculous.

There isn’t much difference between this and Hitler (except for the killing part, of course – hence the difference).

This whole thing makes me want to move to another state maybe even another country. But, if I moved to another country, I wouldn’t have the pleasure of the freedoms I enjoy and take for granted here – I would have some of them, but not all of them. I would also be moving away from the only nephew I have that I can see anytime I want – the real and only reason I won’t be moving anytime soon (unless we can talk his parents into moving with us).

I can’t believe how narrow minded the “Bible belt” is. What happened to “Christian love and duty”? It isn’t supposed to be judgmental – that’s supposed to be God’s job not anyone else’s. I know they’re judgmental and narrow-minded, I lived with them my entire life in CA (of all places!). So much for caring for your fellow man.

What happened to the rights given in the US Constitution – rights of “life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness” given to EVERY person? The American people amended this Constitution in order to give the black people rights, including the right to vote. We also amended this to give women the right to vote, but TN has now taken away one part of the “pursuit of happiness” from the gay community because of the fear that they will “turn” others – or whatever. It’s fear of the unknown, but they take it way too far. While educating myself on the issues on our ballot, I came across a person’s opinion that stated that “if being homosexual is a choice, did everyone else choose to be heterosexual?” I liked that response. No hetero would say they chose to be straight. They would just say it was the natural order of things. Well, HELLO! That’s what the gay community would say as well. Think about it.

They act like the institution of marriage doesn’t already have its problems. Half the marriages in the country end in divorce. I think accepting same sex marriage would lower the divorce rate.

Why? Because most married couples throw in the towel when they have a problem or come across a snag in their marriage instead of working through it. The gay community have already been through so much just by being who they are, they know they can make it through whatever struggles may come up in the course of their “marriage”, they refuse to give up because they know it’s worth it in the long run and that making a lasting relationship takes time and effort and they are willing to give their relationship both.

If this state is already putting discrimination into its constitution, what’s next? Who’s the next group to be discriminated against? When will it end? Where will it end? Will it end?

Stupid, redneck, narrow-minded people! And I live among them. HELP!

No comments: