Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Today's Frustrations

Micromanagers – even those that are not your manager can drive you crazy. There’s a person I work with who is afraid to let things go because the things that were given to her are taken back because others have a hard time letting go. Then again, maybe she doesn’t know if she is supposed to let it go completely or if I am just there to help her with it. I don’t know whether I am taking over and responsible for this particular event, so maybe she doesn’t either. She is wanting me to sit back and not key in the information we have already received or will receive in the next few weeks, but hold on to them until she is done with the order we are waiting to receive then key in all the new information at that time. I’m too organized to want to wait and do it all at one time when I will have a lot of other things to do when I can do one or two at a time as we get the requests. Needless to say, I’ve started my own spreadsheet that she does not have access to and will copy and paste into whatever document she wants me to use. I cannot wait until we have our meeting regarding the roles of everyone in the office. You know I’m bringing up this “event” thing to find out if I am responsible for it or just helping with the data entry.

People playing with kids in the backseat while driving. I was behind a woman today on my way to work that kept driving extremely slowly and kept turning around to the backseat. Even driving at that slow speed, she had a hard time staying in her lane and she obviously wasn’t keeping up with the traffic ahead of her. She had a toy in her hand and kept acting as though the animal were going to attact the child in the backseat or acting as though that toy were attacking her – While. She. Was. Driving! No wonder she couldn’t drive, she was too busy keeping the kid in the backseat happy. I was so tempted to honk my horn when she lagged way behind the car in front of her. What do I care if her child starts crying? It’s not like she wasn’t there keeping it interested, happy, and amused on the drive. I’m sure she could have calmed the child down in no time. I didn’t, but oh how I wanted to and I had to think about it quite a bit and extremely hard to keep myself from honking that horn – just. once.

2 comments:

Manda Girl said...

She probably wasn't thinking at the time how dangerous that could be!

It's hard sometimes for people to let go of tasks at work. She probably is worried that she won't have enough to do if she gives that up and will be let go?

Kari said...

Yeah, very dangerous drivers out on the road. We all need to be extra careful when we're behind the wheel.

That's a good point. It doesn't help that she is also new and I guess we're all trying to find out exactly where we fit in the scheme of things.

I went to my director yesterday and asked her what my job description was, how I fit in the organization, and that it would be helpful to know the roles of each person in the office (mostly so I don't tell someone that isn't part of my job description when they are the ones that fill out my reviews). Because of my meeting with her, she has decided to have a meeting in the next few weeks (the woman on maternity leave comes back on the first and there are 3 new employees since she's been gone - and she is the one that fills out my written reviews). So hopefully, all will go much smoother once this meeteing has been held.

Keep your fingers crossed.