Friday, September 28, 2007

Lunch Destiny

I need to quit “struggling” with feeling left out and start “emerging” from the situation realizing that I am who I am and my co-workers are who they are. I also need to realize that just because I’m not asked to go to lunch with them doesn’t mean it is a personal attack. Most likely, it is out of convenience because they tend to go to lunch a little bit before I do and because I can’t go to lunch until the EA (Executive Assistant) comes back from her lunch so we have phone coverage. Either way, I need to let this go. I don’t know why it even bothers me so much. I guess because if I were in the group, I would at least ask whoever wasn’t already going (even if I knew they couldn’t go) to make them feel welcome. Technically, they (or in this case I) could always say “I can meet you wherever you’re going in 15-20 minutes when EA comes back to answer phones or I could pass on the invitation depending on my mood of that day. At least then, I would have the option to decline or accept but still feel as though I were accepted. Maybe that’s my problem. Maybe it’s my need to feel wanted and in control of my own ‘lunch destiny’ instead of not having a choice because I wasn’t asked or included.

Am I asking too much of people? Isn’t that just common courtesy? Do people even know what common courtesy is anymore? Maybe that’s the problem. With everyone on the World Wide Web and all the technology that is currently available, have we lost touch and understanding of every day, common courtesies? We expect that just because we’re on a phone call in a crowded room that our conversation is “private” when in reality, we are giving our privacy to anyone within earshot. Have we become a society where we never think of those around us because we have cocooned ourselves in and with technology? I guess that’s just something I will never quite understand. No wonder we/I take things personally. We don’t know our fellow men/women well enough to know if they are joking, if they are upset, if they’re just having a bad day, or if their actions are simply part of their personality. It’s amazing that with all of our technological advances, we are losing touch with our fellow humans (planet-mates).

1 comment:

Miranda said...

The office assistant in my office will take everyone's mail to the outgoing box and not take mine or even ask if I have any.

I've only worked in that office for 6 years.

I keep to myself at work. My breaks and lunch I spend reading romance novels or magazines.