Saturday, July 07, 2007

My Niece is HERE!

So...we had the baby shower last Saturday and found out that the baby should be here within the next 2 weeks. We got a call last night at 9:13. We did not make it to the hospital in time for the birth. Hell! They barely made it to the hospital for the birth. She almost gave birth in the elevator getting to the delivery room. Then she almost gave birth in the hallway outside the delivery room. From first contraction to delivery was only 2 1/2 hours! With K, it was about 4 1/2 hours. The doctor was with her for 2 1/2 MINUTES before Kaitlyn arrived. Poor mommy had no opportunity for drugs, but all went well and both mom and daughter are doing great.

We spent the day at the hospital. I held K2 for the majority of the day (I tried to give her up, but everyone wanted me to hold her). I love my in-laws. They understand that it is still hard for me sometimes that H and I cannot have children. They know that I will love K and K2 as though they were mine. I was the first person to change both of their diapers (not the best job in the world, but I was first). They both (K and K2) felt/feel most comfortable with me in comparison to everyone else. I guess they realize that I'm not afraid of them (as babies) or afraid I'm going to hurt them. Everyone else is skiddish. I love that the first song they heard was me humming Brahm's Lullaby.

I also gave K2 her middle name just as I did with K when he was born. Again, I am the white girl in the bunch and I gave both children a Laotian middle name to go with their American first names. K2's middle name is her grandmother's name (it's one of the few Laotian female names I know, plus it sounds good with her first name). I didn't even realize this, but K and K2 have the exact same three initials. :-) I'm so good, I didn't even know it.

Anyway...that's the update. I thought you'd all like to know.

Until later...

1 comment:

My Pugs Blogger said...

Congrats Auntie!!! How special that you are able to be so close and such an impact on their lives :)