Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Panic Update

Ok, so after talking with H (he knows me so well – even better than I know myself most of the time), I’ve realized that my panic is just one of the ways in which my depression rears its ugly head. I placed a call to my doctor this morning asking if she can call in a prescription of Wellbutrin for me as I was still pretty panicky this morning and talking non-stop a mile a minute for about 20 minutes straight (kind of like I’m typing right now).

This is very strange for me. I’ve never had panic attacks or anxiety attacks that have affected me this way in the past. Normally I have heart palpitations (where I think my heart is about to race from my chest) and I have a hard time catching my breath (I feel like I’m running out of breath and can’t get my next one fast enough). Last night and this morning’s reactions are completely new to me. Hopefully, this medication will help.

She and I discussed this option for me a few weeks ago which should have been a HUGE clue that my depression was kicking back in. I’ve been off all types of antidepressants for about 6 years now after being on them for 3. That’s pretty good. At least I don’t have to be on them all the time and I still get lasting results. So…due to the sexual side effects I experienced with the last 2 antidepressants, she thought Wellbutrin would be a great choice for me this time.

I just called the pharmacy about 30 minutes ago and they have received a call from my doctor, so I will be picking that up on my way home. I’ve done a LOT of reading on the www today regarding this drug and its effects and drug interactions. I’ll be asking the pharmacist if taking Benadryl, Melatonin, and allergy shots each week will cause any adverse reactions.

Wish me luck.

2 comments:

Manda Girl said...

Good luck my friend! I hope that there aren't any reactions and you can start to feel better. What do you think is causing this to flare up at the moment? The trip to see your folks maybe?

Think happy thoughts!

Kari said...

Thanks for your thoughts.

The trip to the parents didn't make this flare up that I'm aware of. That was actually the best visit we've had in YEARS.

I have a chemical imbalance and it must be flaring up more than it has in the past. It could be that 3 years on the medication only allows me 6 years off the medication. :-)