Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Day One on Wellbutrin

I took Wellbutrin for the first time last night around 6:45 cst. So far, so good. It’s only day 1. Can’t expect any significance or change. Can’t even expect that the meds are in my body yet since I am taking the slow release formula (Wellbutrin XL). After taking the pill last night, I had a few stomach discomforts (read slight pain and gas). Glad I took this at night instead of waiting till the morning.

I am feeling a bit scattered and jittery today which is nothing new and, like I said earlier, it is just day 1. I am taking the medication at night because all my sources said it could cause drowsiness and that you shouldn’t drive after taking it until you know how you’re going to react to it. All the websites I looked at yesterday (and my search was long and intensive) said to take the pill in the morning. The pharmacist and paperwork that came with the medication said to take it at the same time every day. Until I know how this will affect me, I’m going to take it at night so I don’t have any problems getting to work in the morning.

I realize that this means I could be stressed and feeling extremely off my last hour or so of work each day (I get off at 4:30), but it’s worth it until I know how my body will handle this so that the majority of my side effects will happen at home with H who loves me no matter what. If I find that I’m handling it without much of a problem and feel comfortable driving after taking it, I will probably skip a dose one night and take it in the morning to put myself on a morning schedule. I would do this for a couple of reasons: 1) I will be more at ease at work when I’m around people that don’t know me well enough to know of my chemical imbalance and when I’m meeting new people and 2) each night is different (could be at home, at a restaurant, in the car, etc.) and it may be hard to take the pill at the same time each night while it would be easier to take in the morning because my mornings are pretty much all the same (weekends are a little different, but I wake up at generally the same time even if it’s just to go to the bathroom before going back to bed).

I’m finding that taking a few deep breaths and typing this entry is helping me feel a little more focused and helping the panic just a little (sometimes a little is enough to get you by).

Until next time…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck, Kari. I'll be thinking about you. Granted, everyone is different, but Wellbutrin has been a positive influence on my life and I'm glad to have found it. I was also told to take it in the morning because it acts as a bit of a stimulant (and not really, but more so than would make a person tired from what I hear), but I've taken it at a number of different times and I don't think it has affected me negatively. You're doing the right thing in documenting this. You'll be so happy you did.

:)