Friday, April 06, 2007

Been Looking for the Perfect Lunch Spot...

I finally found a park to have my lunch at. A park real close to work. I go there, missed it, so I drove around the block. Got a little lost, but found my way. I knew which direction the park was in, so I kept traveling in that direction. Pulled in and got my lunch out of the car. Sat at a picnic table in a pavilion – thought I’d be away from the majority of the wind depending on the direction of the wind and seats in the pavilion. I chose poorly, so as I was packing up my lunch to go back to the car (after only 2 bites of my sandwich), these kids started running all over the picnic tables and benches. No adult was anywhere to be found in the park AT ALL.

So, I leave the park and head back to work. This cat gave me the crazy eye and ran at my car instead of turning in the other direction. I swear the cat looked me square in my eye before he darted out. I felt a thump, looked in my rearview mirror and the cat was lying in the middle of the road with his fuzzy tummy in the air. I drove around the block thinking I might be able to find someone the cat belonged to while thinking I should call the police about it.

I saw this man in his driveway. I rolled my window down and asked if anyone in the neighborhood had an orange tabby cat. He said he didn’t know. It could be a stray. I told him that I hit a cat on the next street and was wondering if it belonged to anyone. He then asked if I could do him a favor. I said, “I don’t know…it depends on what it is.” He asked if I would pull into his driveway and give him a jump because he couldn’t get his car started – he had jumper cables.

I pulled in making sure to miss the tree stump to the right and his car to the left. Not an easy feat to be sure! I thought I’d never get out of there. His car took forever to start. So long, in fact, that he was in the process of calling someone for a ride when it finally turned over. I finally got out of there. When I turned onto the street where I hit the cat, I looked in both directions, but there was no cat in the middle of the road. Thank God, I didn’t hit him on life #9. He at least had one more life left in him.

When I got back to work, I checked my car and tires to make sure everything was okay. I found no place dented in, I found no cat hair sticking to any part of my car, I guess I’m okay. I’m still shaken up, though. I’ve never hit anything besides a curb before – that was an accident, too. I swear I didn’t do that on purpose and it was two years ago.

4 comments:

Professor Howdy said...

Hello!
Very good article. Thank you -
have a good day!!!

Bill C said...

A park near work is a good thing to find. I'm still looking around here... *sigh*

And cats are amazing. Glad this one decided to stay and taunt puny humans for at least a little while longer.

Kari said...

I'm glad you both liked this post and enjoyed it enough to comment. Personally, I could have done without that damn cat that day. :-) I can't seem to drive down that street now without going 5 miles slower than the speed limit with my eyes darting in every direction scanning for that cat to jump at my car again. The saddest part is that I drive that street every day to get home from work. Luckily (?) the weather has been too cool to enjoy the park during lunch or I would be driving it 3 times a day.

Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

we have a park near our office that I love to go to in the nicer weather. It's on the canal and is so relaxing.