Thursday, September 28, 2006

Been Working for a Week

OK...I've been working for a week now. Not too shabby. The job is pretty easy (secretarial work - comes easy for me and I enjoy it). Including me, there are only 12 people that work in this office although there are other facilities and people that work for this company. I've been extremely busy at work the past week - which is a GREAT thing...I hate to be bored. I've been catching up the office with their paper work and filing. They soooo needed the help.

Here are some things I have noticed regarding my new workplace:
1. I love that I live about 10 minutes from work. I can come home for lunch, let the dog out, read a book, whatever. It's great.

2. Since this is a small company, they have no sick time. An employee gets only 1 week of vacation for the first 3 years they work there - the first year the week is unpaid if you choose to use it. That part SUCKS!

3. They are not big on ergonomically correct anything, so I have been coming home with a backache each night. There's been a lot of bending over to stamp a few pages - every copy has to be stamped. This part SUCKS, too.

4. A small company is great when it comes to giving your employees a little leeway when it comes to coming/going or a person's lunch hour . No one hovers over you...there is no time clock...you just fill out your timecard. IF you need to come in late due to a doctor's appointment, it's not a problem - you don't get paid for it, but you can make up that time.

On to other things....
I found out that the reason my brother didn't come to my graduation had NOTHING to do with finances. He just bought a brand new car and they are moving into a house that costs more than twice what they were paying before. Oh well...it's nice to know where I stand.

I've been in the habit of calling my mom on a daily basis. I'm not doing that anymore. I haven't called her since they left on Sunday, and mom hasn't missed me that much. She's called me only once since then. I never leave a conversation with my mom feeling good anyway. She kind of stresses me and is always negative, so it's been kind of good not talking to her everyday. Oh well...it's nice to know where I stand.

I have an appointment Saturday to get my nails done. Normally, I get my nails done every 3 weeks, but with this new job...I'm finding that I can't let them go that long because I'm having a hard time typing. I guess I'll start going every 2 weeks. Too bad my nails grow so fast. I'm not really complaining. :-)

I also have an appointment to get my hair cut Saturday (actually gonna get a little style put into it). I've had the style I'm getting before, so I know I can fix it each day. I need to remember to get some texturizer while I'm there to make the style work. I'm getting tired of my hair getting in my eyes and having no body. It's driving me crazy.

So...that's what's been going on with me for the past week. I'll try to blog more often. HEY!! I realized yesterday that as of next week, I will have been blogging for a YEAR! It sure doesn't seem like it's been that long already. WooHoo!

No comments: