Tuesday, June 06, 2006

What's up with that?

I understand why people are so against the gay lifestyle - even though I do not have a problem with it. The people that are against gay marriage believe that homosexuality is wrong and against the Bible. Whether it is or isn't, why is that the issue? Why can't our country let these people have the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness that we, as Americans, are entitled to. The pursuit of happiness for the gay community can mean marriage to the person they love and want to share a lifetime commitment.
I don't see anything wrong with the gay community wanting marriage to be a part of their lives. I think they should be given the opportunity to have a loving relationship with the person of their choice and let them engage in a contractual marriage that would give their partner say over their medical condition or whatever may happen in life in which they aren't given those rights now as a partner because it isn't legally binding.

Even with all of this going on during the last presidential election, I still voted for Bush, but not because of the gay marriage issue. Personally, I don't trust Kerry to have the greatest power this county can give a person. I would rather have Bush with everything we've gone through in the last 6 years, than trust Kerry with those same issues. If I were voting just on the gay marriage issue, I would have voted for Kerry, but sadly, there are many more issues at stake when voting for a President. I'm hoping that the next election will bring candidates that can be strong in the face of adversity or terrorism but also realize that each person in this country has the rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness (and each person is entitled to choose what would make them happy for themselves).

No comments: