Thursday, July 17, 2008

Frustrations with Weight

I've been frustrated lately because I'm stuck and no longer losing. Grant it, I'm not really watching what I eat. Well, I am, but I watch it go from my plate to my mouth. I've gained a few pounds back (less than 5). I've been doing this for quite some time. Fine, I've been doing this since about March. Five pounds isn't that bad for that time frame.

I've realized a few things in this frustrating time...

It doesn't matter if I reach my goals [meaning the set in stone, lose 'x' amount of pounds goals] as long as I'm working toward them on a pretty consistent basis. I may not always be able to work out (I have problems with my hips and knees due to arthritis). I can't beat myself up for that. It's going to happen. That's all part of my life and that's okay.

You can't beat yourself up over not reaching a goal either. We're working toward our goals. [It's a process] We should be extremely proud of ourselves for that no matter what the outcome. If we're striving for our goals more days than we aren't, we've accomplished something HUGE - something we haven't done before! Be proud of it. Congratulate yourself. You deserve it. You ARE worth it and you CAN do this. We all can!

It's nice to remind ourselves sometimes that life is just life. Things will come up that we don't expect and we're going to have to go with the flow. That's okay. We really need to be proud of ourselves for what we've already accomplished instead of only remembering the one piece of dessert we really shouldn't have had. Okay, fine, the three we shouldn't have had AFTER the one. Whatever! We tend to tune into the bad and negative things we are doing instead of realizing how much better we're doing on a daily, more consistent basis.

I think we get so used to the changes that we've made, that we forget just how far we've come. Yeah, we may slip occassionally and that's okay. We're human. It's going to happen. We need to accept that, learn from it, and move on. Don't beat yourself up over it. I can't beat myself up for it either. Instead of getting upset because of a dessert, remind yourself that you used to eat two or three (the whole thing? Whatever). You're still making progress. Celebrate that! Remember that! Be proud of THAT!

I know I've come a long way. I had to stop and take a break after walking just a few feet. I couldn't cross my legs. I couldn't paint my toenails without having to sit up straight for air after every two toes. I had to stop and take a break after playing with my nephew for about 5 minutes. I wore a size 16 top and 18-20 pants.

Those things are all history! I've come a long way. I'm proud of me and need to remember that and embrace the person I am NOW!

Until later...
k

4 comments:

mama biscuit said...

I think the important thing to remember with trying to reach any goal is to not give up the first time you have a set back. You have to just deal with it and move on!

Keep up the good work. Have a great weekend!

Manda Girl said...

This was a great post - I really loved what you said. I feel very similar to you in that I feel like I am a failure more often than I allow myself to celebrate the little things. I am so glad that you reminded me of that!

Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

You said it right, we forget the progress we make. We are so in tune to what our negatives are that we forget. I am glad that you are able to see this and I know that it will help with your journey. Congrats!

Anonymous said...

you go girl!!!
having struggled with weight issues my whole freaking life...i so hear you on this!!!
xoxo