Sunday, August 19, 2007

Book Review..."How to Be a Budget Fashionista"

Okay…I have been lurking over at The Budget Fashionista for some time now. I love this site. The woman who runs it has a lot of fashion sense. Me? Not so much. Honestly! That’s why I love her site. She gives all sorts of advice on what’s hot and what’s not, including beauty items! WooHoo! Can’t beat that. What’s even better is that she tells you where to get the best deals (duh, budget). Another thing that really got my attention is the fact that this lady is REAL! She’s not a size 2 (do we really know anyone who is? – don’t answer that!). She's even had trouble with debt in the past because of her shopping. Who can't relate to that?!

Anyway, she has written a book How to Be a Budget Fashionista and I just received it in the mail last night (It has been a few days since I have been able to finish this review due to working overtime). Anyway, on the day I received the book, I got home at 6:30. This book is such an easy, quick read that I just didn't want to put down. I read the majority of this book (and skimmed one or two sections that I wasn't quite interested in at this moment, but will definitely take much time poring over later)before I went to bed around 11 that night. Let me tell you, there are lots of things that I'm going to go back, read slower, and highlight in this book (as well as do the same to the chapters that I skimmed that night). I'm also going to take this book with me when I go shopping so I have Miss Finney with me as my personal shopper/consultant.

I have never been a girly girl by any stretch of the imagination. Due to this fact, I have never really felt comfortable with fashion or even going shopping. I never knew or realized what my "style" is which is one reason that I wanted to pick up this book (I tend to pick things for myself that are blah or I get sucked into a style that I really don't like after bringing it home. This book will keep me from doing that in the future). I wanted to know what my "style" is and how best to dress my body type. Now that I have read this book, I can't wait to pore over it slowly, highlight the pages that best suit me, and go shopping (with Miss Finney right alongside me).

In this book, she states there are 10 items, (The Perfect 10), every woman should have in her wardrobe. With these 10 items, you can mix and match to combine about 32 different combinations. She even lists 16 of the combinations for you so you don't have to think about it. It's GREAT!

This book is fantastic! Not only does it help you realize what your personal style is, but it also tells you the stores and brands(both high end and affordable) where you can find your style. She even lists three "style sisters" that you can look to in order to better understand your style because their styles closely resemble your own.

She tells you ways you can add to your wardrobe to put your own spin on the "Perfect 10" and even has sections regarding budget, ways to earn more money (to use for shopping, duh!), how to find the right undergarments (I've always wondered which bra to where under certain tops - this book answers that) including how to find the right size panties and bra, even beauty (high end and affordable along with spa treatments you can make at home including quick beauty fixes from your fridge). She tells you the best times to shop certain stores and how to know that you're getting a steal at consignment and thrift stores on your favorite fashions (if buying second hand doesn't bother you). This book even tells you how to take care of your clothes and get out all the stains you never knew how to handle.

My problem with this book is that I didn't know half the brand names she mentioned (told you I wasn't a girly girl). I had to Google them in order to answer some of the questions for the "style quiz" but it was well worth it. Seeing the styles on the models at these websites helps me see how to wear and pair items so they look fashionable and to see them in a way I wouldn't have understood without seeing them.

I've seen other reviews of this book where the writer criticized the author for suggesting that sometimes a $200 item really is a bargain. In actuality, it is if that item will be wearable for many years. Miss Finney suggests that the majority of your wardrobe (especially the "Perfect 10") be "classic" styles so that your wardrobe isn't dated by fads that will come and go, but a few of these items can be put into your wardrobe in order to make it hip and current. Like any book, you can take the parts that work best for you and leave the rest. You never know when you might need or even want to put those into practice as well.

I recommend this book for anyone who wants to dress fashionably whether you have a large clothes budget or not (whether you already know your style or not). The lessons learned in this book will help anyone. Because of this, I have now realized that my style is "sporty, conservative with a touch of urban trekker" and I now have a list of the stores, brands, and styles that will work best for me. I hope you will find what works best for you.

No comments: