Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Today

Well, a lot happened today. First of all, I am training someone for my position at work. She is doing a great job. Training her makes my day long because, for the most part, she is working and I am supervising. She's doing to do a GREAT job once I leave May 12.

Today was my first final - BLAW. We had a paper due today (4-6 pages long) on whichever Act we had to give a presentation about earlier in the year. Because I was being inducted into Beta Gamma Sigma and receiving the Academic Award for Office Management tonight at 6:00, I was able to take my final with the 2:20 class instead of my 4:10 class.

I was "shocked and appalled" when I walked into the classroom today. The majority of the students were giving each other the answers. This teacher has used the same tests for every class for the past few years. Somehow someone in this class and in my class got hold of the answers. Someone must have written them down in a former class as they went over them when they were returned (because no one is able to take out of the room a test or their scored scantron). There are about 10 people in my class that seem to take the tests in 10 minutes. They're 40 question tests. It should take them longer than that just to read the questions.

Anyway, this whole class was giving each other the answers (there were a few that took the test on their own without help including myself). What shocked me the most were the two guys that were two and three seats away from me. One came into class with his scantron already marked with little dots in the bubbles of the correct answers. He then let the guy next to him COPY his scantron.

The professor showed them. He actually made up a new test. :-) I was so excited. He told my class a few weeks ago that he wasn't putting the first 7 questions of each test in order on this test. Today, he stated that "you won't be able to figure this one out." The guys next to me looked at each other and their faces fell. I thought it was funny as hell. One of the guys asked the girl next to me if the answer to #1 was "A". She told him no. It took everyone about the same amount of time to take the test instead of some being done in no time at all. These kids had to actually read the questions and think about their answers. They got screwed. :-P
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tonight, I received the Academic Award for Office Management. One of the criteria was having the highest GPA for my major. My major GPA is 4.0 so I got the award. It came with a $250 scholarship to be awarded for the Spring semester. That was the money I got as a refund just a few weeks ago. I wondered why I got that. I even called the business office to make sure it was correct since I knew nothing about it at that time. I didn't know until tonight that was the actual reason for the refund. I only knew that it wasn't a mistake and that I had gotten some sort of award.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was also inducted into Beta Gamma Sigma tonight. It is a business organization of accredited schools. Those seniors inducted have to be in the top 10% of thier class. I was pretty excited. I actually teared up during the induction ceremony. This is "the highest recognition a business student anywhere in the world can receive in a business program accredited by AACSB International." The founding principles and values of the Society are honor and integrity, pursuit of wisdom, and earnestness. I took an oath today to uphold those principles. HONOR AND INTEGRITY, PURSUIT OF WISDOM, EARNESTNESS. Those are words and concepts I am going to try my best to live up to and live by for the rest of my life.

2 comments:

My Pugs Blogger said...

Wow - sounds like things are really falling into place! Congrats on a great job!

Kari said...

Thanks so much. I'm pretty excited. Amazing how much easier college is when you're in your mid-thirties. :-)