Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Great Weekend!

Okay, recap on the weekend with the family…

We left our house Friday morning, dropped the dog off at H’s parent’s house. They’re dog sitting for us this weekend. We finally left there and drove the 4 hours to my parent’s house. Check in at the hotel was 3:00, and we got there around 2:00 so we stopped at my mom’s first to see everyone.

The kids were outside having a blast. They each had a crocket mallet and were using it as a gun. When mom and I went outside to see her “retreat” they acted as though they were shooting me. Being the crazy person that I am, I acted as though they killed me and leaned against my mom with all my “dead” weight. She did not appreciate it. She told me, “Don’t encourage them.” 1) We were outside 2) Would she rather they were playing this game in the house? NO! 3) Why would I not want to encourage them to play with me? I haven’t seen them in 2 ½ years! If they want to shoot me dead with toy guns, have at it. I’m dead.

I talked with M to see how her teaching is going and how life, in general, is going for them. It sounds like everything is going well for them. My brother is starting his own business where he will be teaming churches or businesses with golf courses for tournaments. He’s really excited about it. All he has left to do now is to market his plan to the companies and churches so he can start the business rolling. He’s been taking things slowly because someone has to be home with D and B while M is at work and W is at school. Next year, W and D will both be in school and M will be getting off earlier three days a week so G will be able to market his business the way he needs and wants to.

My folks seem to have a problem with G staying home with his kids and working his business on the side. Personally, I think it’s great that G is fine with being a stay at home dad for a while. I’m glad that he isn’t taking a job he hates. Obviously, they can afford to live on M’s salary, so why should he be in a job he can’t stand. That would just make him obnoxious and stressed when he’s home with his family. This way, he is doing what he loves and it gives him plenty of time with his children while they are young and impressionable and need their dad most. You go, G!

I remember growing up knowing how much Dad hated his job and hated going to work in the morning. I’m glad that G’s kids won’t grow up knowing that about their dad.

I can’t even remember now what day we did what. It seemed that we didn’t do much besides playing card games, playing with the kids, and sitting in front of the TV. One night, B got into trouble because she didn’t eat her dinner. Since she didn’t eat her dinner, she was to get no snacks that night. Sadly, that was the night that everyone wanted Sonic shakes. H got a banana split and he had no idea that she wasn’t supposed to get any dessert. He gave her a bite of his banana split. She loved it! He asked her if she wanted another bite and she said, “Yes.” He asked her if she wanted some strawberry. She said, “No.” He asked if she wanted some pineapple. She said, “No.” He asked if she wanted more chocolate and of course, the answer was yes! She was so cute. She kept telling him that it was REALLY good. My dad told H that she wasn’t supposed to get dessert that night. Shame on him! He’s the grandpa, H is the uncle. If they want to sneak in a few bites, there’s nothing really wrong with that. My grandma did that to us all the time and we turned out okay. G saw that H was giving her ice cream. I think he got a kick out of it since we hardly ever see them. Since dad said something though, H thought he shouldn’t give her any more. She stayed next to him until it was all gone telling him how good it was. She even told him when he had just a little left that it’s really good when you stir it all up then you drink it. It’s REALLY good, she told him. What a sweetheart. It broke H’s heart that he felt he couldn’t sneak her a few more bites.

One day, I was worn out so I kicked back in the recliner to take a cat nap. She was on the sofa next to the chair and I felt her tap my leg. I looked at her and she told me that I had a butterfly on my leg. I wasn’t thinking. I thought to myself that I didn’t feel anything on my leg. I look down to where she’s pointing and she saw my tattoo. It’s a butterfly. Duh! She then leans over like she’s going to tell me a secret and asks, “Is it paint on?” Isn’t that cute?! I said it was and she said oh and went to play with something else. Cracked me up. She was so cute. She’ll be 4 in December.

All three kids were great! They’re kids. You can’t expect them to act like adults and be quiet all the time. Sadly, I think that’s what my parents expected. H had a great time with them. I did, too, but I ended up with a migraine two days while we were there. I think it was because of my allergies and all the trees up there. I would have enjoyed it more without the headaches, but the headaches were NOT because of the kids. I can’t believe how much they’ve grown in the past 2 ½ years.

No comments: