Sunday, January 21, 2007

Playing Catch Up

~ Well, it's Sunday, and this feels like a good day to catch up on what I should have written during the week, but didn't. First of all, the job is fantastic! I absolutely love it. Right now is the slow time in this office..which is fine. I would rather start when it's slow so I can get my bearings that start off on a run and feel like I'm lost all the time. With that being said, normally when I'm in a job and it's slow, the day just drags by and each day feels like a week. That is not the case in this job. Friday afternoon after 3:00 was the only time where time seemed to drag. Not too shabby since I leave at 4:30.

I work for the state at one of the universities - my alma mater. It's great. I work in the alumni relations office. As an alumn, I can't beat that. What's crazy is that I have learned more about this college this past week than I did the whole 3 years and 3 months I went as a student. I guess because I was a "non-traditional" student, I wasn't really interested in joining any groups. I was more interested in getting my degree and getting on with my life at home with my family. Now I will be involved in a lot of the alumni events and sporting events and H said he would do those with me. I don't expect him to do every sporting event or even every alumni event (even though he is alumni too) but I think this is a great opportunity for both of us.

As a staff member, I can take one grad or under-grad class free each semester and H can take one under-grad class at a 50% discount. That is so sweet. I also have free access to the recreation center and he gets a discount (found that it is the same price for alumn, so we aren't saving on his use, but we are on mine). I get 50% off the price of sporting events, excluding football - I only get 40% for that (but I am stocked about it) and I get a 20% discount at the bookstore on campus and the one off campus. You can't beat that.

Wait, there's more. As a state employee, I can camp at any of the state parks for a 50% discount. When those parks have their off season, I get 50% off their cabins and rooms. Not too shabby.

Can you tell that I'm excited about my new job? The only down side is that I may have to work evenings and some Saturdays, but I get comp time for anything over 37.5 hours in a week. Up to 40 hours is straight time 1 hour for 1 hour worked. For anything over 40, I get 1.5 hours for every 1 hour worked. I'm even okay with that and having to work over. As a matter of fact, I had to work yesterday morning.

I am so unused to waking up at 6 in the morning that I have been extremely tired all week. Last night, I went to bed at 8 just so I can catch up on lost zzzz's. I feel so much better this morning. I was too tired to even eat dinner last night. I was just beat.

On another note, we saw K yesterday. He wanted to go putt-putt (I've always called this miniature golf). We had a blast. He is so fun to watch. We don't keep score and at the end, he shoots all the balls into the final hole. It was great.

We went to the biggest mall in that area once we were done. I needed to find new shoes. I bought a pair on Monday before I started work, but they killed my feet. They were a pair of boots that fit well in the store, but by Monday morning, I guess my feet swelled a bit. The boots rubbed a raw spot all around my ankle and I could hardly walk by the end of the day. I found a pair yesterday that do not have any material around the heal. They look really dressy. I don't know shoe style names, but these are cute and comfortable. They are Vinnie by Hush Puppies. As I was trying on shoes, K was next to me. If I moved my foot a certain way, he did the same thing. It was hilarious. If I made a noise, he made the noise. If I made a face, he made a face. God, I love that kid. When H and I fell behind, he would turn around and tell us to "come on". He wanted me to follow the same path he took. It was a great day.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Food:
1 blueberry scone
1 cup lad na (I know I spelled that wrong, but I don't know how to spell that - it's thick rice noodles, with veggies, chicken, and a brown sauce)
4 eggrolls
3 pretzels from Pretzel Annies (the small pieces not the big pretzels)

Beverages:
30 oz water
15 oz diet soda
half a medium diet coke (with ice)

Exercise:
walked the mall
played putt-putt
toured a building on campus

No comments: